Wednesday, February 15, 2012


I'll admit that I haven't always been a huge fan of Sloppy Joes, but let's face it...it's a quick mid-week meal and kids generally like it. Over the past few years I've tried a lot of different versions, but none of them have become my "go to" recipe. That is until this one. It's really good...so good, in fact, that you almost forget your eating ground beef and not pulled beef...for real! I served these with a side of coleslaw. I even threw some slaw on top of my sandwich with some cheese...oh my...I even at leftovers for lunch today. So give these a try...I think you'll be surprised that something so easy can  taste so good.

 
You will Need:

1 lb. of ground beef
2-3 celery stalks, chopped
1 Small onion, chopped
1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
1/4 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
1 T. of firmly packed brown sugar
1 t. of dry mustard
salt and pepper
1 T. of Worcestershire sauce
1 T. of vinegar

In a large skillet, brown beef, celery and onion.  Drain the fat.
Stir in remaining ingredients, simmer covered, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
If the mixture seems to loose, take off the cover and let moisture evaporate.
Cook until it reaches the consistency you like.

I recommend serving these on your favorite rolls, sprinkled with cheese and a side of slaw and fries. This is fast food at home...your kids will love it.

No comments: