Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pumpkin Scones


I've tried a lot of different Pumpkin Scones but these are definately my new favorite. If you are a fan of scones and pummpkin you should give these a try. I think you will be pleasently surprised at how good they are! This recipe is adaped from one I found at The Shoebox Kitchen.


2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (we used turbinado)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup canned pumpkin (we used our fresh pumpkin puree)
3 tablespoons half-and-half
1 large egg

Spiced Glaze
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 T. of real maple syrup (use more if you need to)

*You don't want the drizzle to be watery. It should be slightly thick and drizzle at the end of a spoon.

Preheat the oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (if you don't have parchment paper, double pan). Combine all the dry ingredients and cut in butter until it resembles small crumbs. I use my food processor for this part because it's so much easier, but a pastry cutter will work just fine. Combine the pumpkin, half and half and egg. Add to the butter/dry ing. mixture and stir till it starts to come together. I used my hands once it started "sticking" together to gather it into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, flatten into a circle about 10 inches or so and then cut into 8 wedges. I suupose you could do a few more if you wanted, but I like thick scones. Transfer to baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes. Mine were done in about 12, so keep any eye on them. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over scones. Serve warm.

No comments: