Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cheesy Mexican Rice and Beef

Yummy!  Don't you just love the way melted cheese looks on top of food...makes you want to dive right in and eat it all!

The recipe I'm sharing today I came up with the other night when I needed a quick meal. I was really happy with the results of this dish.  It is SO simple and very tasty.  Personally I thought it tasted better the next day, but that's just my opinion.

Here's what you need:
2 Cups of water
1 Cup of brown rice ( You could use white, but the brown is so much healthier)
1 Cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of milk
2 Cups of Mex. blend cheese
1 1b of ground beef
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 Tab. of minced onion
1 can of diced tomatos with green chiles (14.5 oz.)

Bring the two cups of water to boil and add the rice.  Cover and simmer over low heat until light and fluffy.  Remember brown rice takes about 1/2 hour or so. While rice is cooking, brown beef in skillet stirring in the garlic salt and minced onion.  When done, drain if necessary, and put into a greased casserole dish.  Add the cooked rice, sour cream, milk and 1 cup of cheese.  Mix well.  Top with remaining cheese.  Bake at 350 until cheese is melted and starts to bubble on the sides.   Serve with a nice salad and some breadsticks or cornbread and you've got a very quick and tasty meal.  I served mine with refried beans and that was very good also.

1 comment:

Tracey M. said...

Yum! This sounds great and simple too. I am doing a "eating through the pantry" project and I have everything for this. I'm going to make it this week! I LOVE oldies too, music from the '50's is the best. I just put a Perry Como CD on hold at the library. Thanks for sharing!