Thursday, May 5, 2011

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is the picture of perfection...a ooey, gooey cookie that is actually whole wheat.

I experimented with my favorite chocolate chip recipe because I wanted to make a healthier version that I would have to feel less guilty about eating.  I was really happy with how these turned out and they passed my cookie test...taste, how they hold up baking, how brown they get and are they gooey...because we all know that a chocolate chip cookie has to be gooey...duh!

So grab you baking gear and go make these right now.

Here's what you'll need:
1 Stick of butter (use the real stuff)
1/8 cup of gran. sugar
1/4 +1/8 cup of brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. of vanilla
1/8 cup of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. of baking soda
1 cup of chocolate chips (I used mini morsels)

Combine butter and sugars until fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla.  Add the baking soda, flour and wheat germ and beat until combined. (I use a kitchen aid, so that's why I do everything in the same bowl).  Stir in the chocolate chips.  The dough should be kind of firm so I actually took teaspoons of dough and rolled them into nice shaped balls.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 8-9 minutes.  Don't over bake...should be soft to touch,they will firm up as they cool.  I know at this point you would normally cool on a wire rack, but I don't think they will make it that far...but if you do have some left...cool on a wire rack.



If you still need a reason to justify eating these cookies just think that by doing so you are providing your body with a healthy dose of whole grain and folic acid (courtesy of the wheat germ)!  Enjoy!!!!





No comments: