Monday, August 29, 2011

First Day of School

Much as I hate to admit it...there is a certain degree of "fun-ness" (is that a word?) to  the first day of school.  I love the smell of new books and the feel of pages that have never been opened.  I can't say for sure but I'm not totally convinced that my children share these same sentiments.  I'm guessing that when I asked my son if he was ready to start school and he went..."aww..."followed by a contorted face that he wasn't reveling in the whole new book thing like myself.  But school must go on!

I'm so thankful that I get to homeschool.  Sometimes it's hard..I won't lie...but when I think of the alternatives...I realize that is is worth any sort of inconvenience.  When I woke up this morning I prayed that God would help me to be loving, patient and to speak kind words to my children as I teach them.  The "teaching" part is easy.  I was always a nerd in school...I loved school.  But the part that doesn't always come as easy is the patience, love, kindness, long-suffering, understanding.  I dare say that those are the most important.  I'm praying for a great year filled with fun, learning and growing together.  It is such a blessing to be able to have my kids home with me where I can direct their hearts and where they can truly "be themselves" without any sort of peer pressure to be something they're not.  To all of you who are beginning school...have a great year.  Wherever your kids attend school...bathe the school year in prayer, prayer and more prayer.  I don't want my kids to see my flesh as I teach them...I want them to see the fruits of the spirit being exercised in my life. 

2 comments:

Becky said...

I need a "love" button!!! :) I guess I'm a nerd too cuz I LOVE the smell of new books and new school supplies etc... ;)

Mrs. Frogster said...

Yay! school is my favorite - I love all aspects of it. well except for all the paperwork and the grading. Our Drama queen's books just arrived this past weekend and we will be starting home school very soon. This teacher is insanely excited! :) haha